With a worldwide population of around 7.4 billion people, you can only imagine how much energy we consume. To quantify it, we use BTUs to measure how much energy we produce. A BTU roughly equates to the amount of energy released when a single match is lit. According to Inside Energy, we produce 78 million BTU per person, per year, worldwide – that’s 2.5 match strikes, per second, per person! America makes up 1/6th of the world’s energy consumption.
We can all do our part to cut down on our energy usage. One small way to make a difference is by switching to LED lighting. LED lighting can reduce energy usage by about 60% and lasts 25 times longer than older technologies like incandescent, fluorescent and CFL. Per Energy.gov, by replacing your home’s five most frequently used light fixtures or bulbs with LED products that earned the ENERGY STAR, you can save $75 each year!
Not only are you going to be able to save money by making the switch to LED lighting, there are many other benefits not just for you, but also for the environment. Let’s take a look at a few of the perks of LED lighting.
- LONG LIFE: LED lighting has an average life of 30,000-50,000 hours as compared to incandescent and CFL light bulbs that last for 1,000 hours or 8,000-10,000 hours, respectively. LEDs never “burn out” but simply dim over time.
- ENERGY EFFICIENT: LED lighting uses about 50%-60% less energy than incandescent and halogen bulbs. It is also directional so there is no wasted light output or energy and it reduces the need for reflectors and diffusers that can block the light. LED lighting is so efficient that it’s becoming more common in street lighting, parking lots, parking garages and on building facades where the amount of energy used is significant.
- SAFETY & DURABILITY: LED light bulbs do not utilize a filament or glass casing, therefore making them extremely durable. Since most are made of plastic, there is very little chance of the bulb shattering if dropped. Also, as compared to incandescent bulbs that lose 90% of their light output to heat, LEDs do not produce heat, so they don’t become hot to the touch even after being illuminated for hours. This calls for less risk of accidental fires or burns.
- COLOR RENDERING: LED lighting has fantastic color rendering, or CRI. It produces a light that shows an item’s truest color and doesn’t wash it out, making them perfect for use in displays and retail applications.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: CFL and fluorescent bulbs contain mercury and can be dangerous if broken and must be disposed of properly once they burn out. LED lighting contains no mercury and can be disposed of easily and are recyclable. The production of one LED bulb saves material and production of 24 incandescent bulbs!
- NO UV EMISSIONS: LED bulbs produce little to no UV emissions which makes them great for use in museums and clothing stores. The LED light will not deteriorate the artwork or fade the clothing.
- GREAT IN EXTREME TEMPERATURES: LED lighting operates extremely well in cold temperatures unlike older technologies that require warmer temperatures to start. LED bulbs are ideal for use in refrigerated displays, cold storage and freezers. As a result, outdoor lighting is also seeing a rise in LED lighting upgrades in parking lots, building exteriors and signage.
- CONTROL & COMPATABILITY: Older technologies are not as versatile as LED lighting. LED lighting can be paired with smart systems and controlled with remotes, timers, sensors and even your smart phone! Most have incredible dimming capabilities that can dim down to 10% light output, whereas some other technologies will only dim to 30%.
Top-Rated Light Bulb & Lamps Authorized Dealer & Supplier
Lightingandsupplies.com is a lighting distributor of Indoor & Outdoor Commercial and Residential light fixtures and light bulbs. Based in the US, we carry the top LED lighting brands like EiKO, RAB Lighting, MaxLite, naturaLED, Westgate Lighting and more of the Top Lighting Manufacturers in the United States. We also carry a wide variety of Horticulture products by Hydrofarm, along with ceiling fans by RP Lighting+Fans. Lightingandsupplies.com also provides rebate programs, expert lighting design advice, and lighting audits for large projects. As a wholesaler, authorized dealer and bulk distributor of lighting products, we take pride in our customer-focused 100% satisfaction guarantee and return policy.